The Andalucia Galleon and Memories of a Bygone Era


 When the Andalucia docked in Maasin, Leyte, I couldn't help but think that my stars were working in my favor (as they always do), considering that I missed my chance to see it when it docked in Manila and I didn't even have an inkling that it was going to follow me all the way to Leyte Province where I was going to stay for 3 weeks.   So, there I was thanking my stars for giving me the opportunity to see the replica of a Spanish Galleon that was used for the Manila-Acapulco Trade centuries ago.    It docked at Pier 13 of Manila South harbor in Oct. 6, (many months ago. does this tell you I have year's material to blog?)   


Its arrival in Manila is in celebration of the Dia del Galeon Festival which aims to preserve the productive relations of the countries that were part of the Galleon Trade.   A total of 110 galleons sailed during the trade to bring merchandise from Asia to America and Europe. 



Seeing it in all it's glory on that perfectly bright and clear day in Maasin brought a sense of awe as I started to imagine the galleon filled with spices, porcelain, laquerware and silk cloth from the Spice Islands and other parts of Asia and how the entire vessel would be welcomed upon their arrival in the Americas and Europe.  If the throng of people that came to Maasin to see the Andalucia was any indication, then there is no doubt how the traders in each port eagerly awaited for the arrival of the galleons 250 years ago.  It was as if the galleon trade was temporarily resurrected.  Only this time, people wanted to see what were inside the walls of a real galleon.





 Like any galleon of old, of course, it was made from hardwood with an elongated beak, the purpose of which remains a mystery to me.  Inside are guns, according to history books, they are called demi-culverin cannons and are very accurate in hitting their targets. 


 
The hardwood walling are lined up with shields of the government.  I surmise they are permits or licenses to prove they are seaworthy or that they were given the proper blessings to sail.    My limited Espanyol was not helpful in understanding the statements that were written in the shields. 


Galleons are powered by wind and since the Andalucia is docked, the sails were rolled up.  Too bad, huh.  It would be a good photo had the sails been rolled down.  It was so regrettable that my Espanol was muy malo (very bad!)  so I could not understand nor converse with the crew aside from saying:  Engkantado! y muy bien... bueno, muchos gracias y espero que hayan disfrutado la lectura.  Hasta pronto!

Comments

Don't Forget To Read This

A Charity Dinner Concert for Nutrition Program at The Manila Hotel

Filipino Tourist Targeted in New York

Circle of Fun is the Latest attraction in Quezon City Memorial Circle